Robotics & Engineering CTE Exploratory
A course in partial fulfillment of the requirements for CIP CODE 150000
The Exploratory offering for this shop is a 4 day sample of the key curriculum aspects vital to Robotics & Engineering. Students will learn to control LEDs using code and circuitry, create a custom CAD model, export their CAD model and utilize our current workflow strategies for cutting objects on our Fusion Pro 120 watt lasercutter, and compete for candy prizes in a tower design challenge.
- Discussion about engineering. Be prepared to answer the following questions.
- What is Engineering
- Who are Engineers
- What do Engineers do?
- What is code?
- Where do you find code?
- What is CAD?
- Where is CAD used?
- Shop Tour – If you miss the tour, see the video below.
- See our CTE Rotations Grading Rubric at this link.
- Electronics Discussion
- Using our Electronics Guide to:
- Using a Breadboard
- Learning and writing C++, a coding language for Arduino microprocessors
- Machine Shop Tour
- CAD discussion – History of CAD video
- Fusion 360 introduction
- Key Chain Project
- For this project you will create a custom key chain in CAD
- In Day 4 we will cut the keychain using the lasercutter
- Below is the keychain tutorial video in case you miss class.
- Lasercutter Tutorial and Safety instruction
- 2D Cutting Discussion and Video
- Cut custom keychain
- Index Card Tower Challenge
- Students will compete against each other to create the tallest free standing tower possible using only a single index card.
- Current record is 24″!
- Winner will receive a candy treat from Mr. Christy
- Exit Survey
**Course Hours: Students will accumulate 4 periods of 56 minutes each, for a total of 224 minutes of total instruction
Students are graded on a rubric based on 20 Total Points in the following categories: Attendance, Participation & Engagement, Safety, and Project Completion. You may view the rubric at this link.
Student progress is available through Grades posted online at: